Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Skitch-I-Y: Turban Head Wraps (Anna Sui s/s 2012 inspired)

Anna Sui
Marc Jacobs

Turbans made quite an appearance during a few runway shows for spring/summer 2012. The girls at Anna Sui flaunted them like it was the seventies à la Antonio López. Marc Jacobs' models donned them too in a more sportswear vibe. I think this is a really chic accessory perfect for the summer time. It can glam up any look to give an exotic feel to your outfit.  These are really easy to make.  I'll show you how to make a really well made turban head wrap that will last your for seasons to come. After all, it is a classic and we all know how I feel about classic pieces.



You'll Need:



  • About 1/4 of a yard of stretch fabric. I recommend lycra or any stretchy cotton fabric. You could use any old t-shirt and recycle it. 
  • Thread
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
  • Pins
  • Needle or a sewing machine
  • Fabric chalk (not shown)
  • Embellishments (optional)











Step 1: Fold your quarter of a yard in half and cut out two 8" x 24" rectangles. 













Step 2: Fold your rectangles in half. If your fabric has a print, make sure the print is on the inside of the folded piece. With your fabric chalk, mark off 5/8" for your seam.













Step 3: Sew along the line. You should also sew along one of the shorter sides to shut off the opening. 
















Step 4: Invert your sewn pieces so the seam allowance is in the interior of each fabric tube. 













Step 5: Grab both tubes and interlace them by the center as if two V's were crossed. 












Step 6: Take one of the open endings and push the edges inwards. Then take both endings from the opposite side of the head wrap and stuff them inside neatly. Make sure everything's flat.









Step 7: Take the remaining ending (the one that is sewed shut) and align it behind the stuffed ending. Sew along the center of the bunch to secure all four endings in place. 











Step 8
: Cut off any excess thread and you're done! You can add any embellishments if you wish. I always keep a lot of beads, feathers and pins and miscellaneous pieces on hand for projects like this. 








You can wear this with practically any outfit. I invited a friend along so I could show you guys how you could style your outfits accordingly with your turban head wraps. You could wear these for the daytime, for any casual look, for special occasions and even to work!


Go casual!




For this look we went for something really casual and relaxed. Docs are one of our fave must do's for all times. Pair them with a skirt for an edgy look. They're always fun and perfect for the summer heat. We kept the turban simple to keep the look easy. I added my favorite vintage belt from the 80's that I love to use as an oversized chain necklace from Ouna's Closet and my Ulan ring from Erika Peña.




Sultry, yet simple

Here we went for a more dressy look. Maybe for a nice night out in town. A beautiful white, sleek dress is the perfect backdrop for a bronze colored turban. A statement bracelet completes this look. You can play up this look with a nice pump or maybe be grecian inspired with some pretty sandals. 




Resort chic


For this we wanted to play on the whimsy of the turban. What better look to play up than resort? It's summer time and that's what it's all about. I wore my favorite dress. It's an animal print maxi that is just about the flowiest thing I own. I also got it for only $20 at Marshalls. I accessorized with Erika Peña Abebi earrings, Moni necklace and José María ring (courtesy of Ivonne). I also added my new linking cuff bracelet from Electroshock. Just to show you guys how the turban looks with embellishments, I added this old gold leaf pin I had lying around. I probably wouldn't add it being as I'm already using so many accessories, but it's just so you guys can get an idea. It looks very chic!



Girl on the go!





For this look, it was essential to maintain everything easy and transitional.  Pair your accessories accordingly and you can go from work to casual date night in no time. Some nice jeans and a cute peplum blouse are a quick way to look chic. Don your turban head wrap and a streamline envelope clutch and you're set! 



Try out your own turban head wrap for the summer. It's a great way to make use of your old t-shirts  and adds a really cool touch to any outfit!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...