Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Satchel Mania: The Leather Satchel Co.!



Hey, guys! Hope that transition from summer to fall is going smoothly. I'm doing great adjusting to New York. I started school orientation this week at Parsons and I am simply loving it (classes start next week and I've already got assignments!). I've met so many amazing people so far (including some fellow puertorrican students!) and getting around the city easily. If you might not have noticed, I'm in love with this city. Sure, it hasn't been easy in some aspects. I'm away from the people I love the most including my boyfriend and my mom but in the end, there are sacrifices we all have to make in order to move forward in life and these are just some of my daily challenges. Anyways, enough about me! I've got an exciting in depth review to share with you guys and I'm pretty sure you'll get pumped about this one as much as I am. Are you into the satchel mania?

The bag came with a special note from the company!


Today, I bring to you guys The Leather Satchel Co. Now, beforehand we have to set some things straight. You might have heard around about the Cambridge Satchel Co. Trust me that your view on things will change when I tell you that they're designs aren't the original ones. After doing some research I found out that they've only been around for a few years (around 2006-ish, I believe). The Leather Satchel Co. has been making top quality, hand made satchels since 1966 and their product is backed up by various artisanal guilds. And what a coincidence that Cambridge Satchel Co.'s bags look just like the Leather Satchel Co.'s ones?! This is just the first factor of comparison I have. I've held both satchels in my hand and I can confidently say that I made the right choice with going with the Leather Satchel Co. Even the quality of the leather, the cut, and finish is more refined! The leather is much more flexible yet thicker than Cambridge's. Oh, and it's also backed up with a 5-year warranty which other companies fail to offer and that on its own should be a definite seller. Also, they're pretty much on the same level with their pricing. Give or take a few dollars but if you ask me, you'll definitely get your money's worth with the Leather Satchel Co.



Since I'll be starting school soon, I was contemplating the idea of getting a satchel as I've seen that they're incredibly sturdy, stylish and practical. For this occasion, I got to customize my satchel and choose from the variety of colors and finishes the company has to offer. I decided to go with Pitch Black (which is one of their patent finishes) on the body of the bag, Cloud Cream on the front pocket, Snow White for the tab and strap features and silver hardware. I'm thinking this is a color combination I can use with practically everything. The only thing about the patent finish vs. the original matte finish is that the patent leathers may show some fingerprints but I've come to conclude that it's easier to take care of and camouflages any stains the bag might get eventually with usage. Plus, those fingerprints can easily be wiped off. No biggie!

My satchel is 12.5" so maybe I'll switch it up later and get a 14" satchel so I can fit in my MacBook for school.  Even so, this bag fits quite a lot of baggage. In it I can fit my makeup bag, wallet, agenda, sunnies, cel phone, keys, and a few other important necessities quite comfortably.



Also, the company attaches to your bag a little keychain with a swatch of the leather your bag is made of which I think is a charming little detail on their part. I like to think that it's their way of showing off their craftsmanship pride. The bag does come with the company's logo embossed on the back pannel of the bag but this little tag is visible to anyone. Of course, you can take it off if you wish, but I'm thinking I'll keep mine on.

Another detail of this satchel is that it came with a magnetic closure so fidgeting to get the buckle closed every time is no longer a problem. The bag's strap is about an inch thick so it's very sturdy. Walking around the city doing errands was pretty comfortable because the satchel is not too big, not heavy at all and with such a comfortable strap, it stayed on my shoulder without budging off.


As for the service, the bag was quickly constructed and sent out. I got mine via Fave8.com. They'll be putting them up for sale soon so I'm really thankful that they gave me this opportunity! Just in time for school! They'll be featuring so many amazing color combinations, featuring neon colors and classic finishes. I think they'll also feature this combination so if you're interested, you better keep your eyes peeled! They were incredibly awesome throughout the whole process. You can check for any updates on their Facebook page. You can also click on the Fave 8 banner I've got set up on my sidebar. It will lead you directly to their website. They have a plethora of really amazing things like The String Republic shoes, Retromarine Italia swimwear for guys and the ever popular Banane Taipeis which I'll also be reviewing soon.

I'm really excited that I gave the satchel trend a try and not just because of the hype, but because these bags really live up to the expectations. It's been love at first sight and I yet have to complain about it. I know this bag will last me a lifetime with the proper care so this is the start of a strong relationship. So all in all, I'm not worried about the trend fading away because if these bags have been around since the sixties, it means they've got the classic formula down. Maybe later I'll do some OOTD pictures but for now, I'll just let this here for you guys to consider your options

Don't forget to "Like" my Facebook page and follow on Tumblr, and Instagram. I'm LilaLane! See you all very soon!

*UPDATE* Fave 8 has partnered with www.leathersatchel.com, where you can get the biggest collection of Leather Satchel Co. bags anywhere and they're ready to ship so no need to wait for your satchel to be made. I've been informed that they work directly with The Leather Satchel Co. and are official distributors of the bags so go check them out! 

2 comments:

  1. that satchel is gorgeous, love the monochrome look!
    http://cloudsandcuticleoil.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm absolutely in love with the combination and it definitely stands out as striking! It's my everyday bag!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...